Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I will be divorced next week on the 20th with a alimony

Customer Question
I will be divorced next...
I will be divorced next week on the 20th with a alimony agreement incorporated into the divorce decree. My spouse and I agreed of the terms of the agreement. It is to paid indefinitely because I am disabled. Now he says he is going to take me to court because he no longer wants to pay. ..even though he knows I am disabled. Will he be allowed to stop paying under these circumstances.He has no health issues, just doesn't want to pay anymore
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: North Carolina
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: this issue just came up today so no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He has been behind on his payment since February, and I agreed to waive the late amount if he would start paying ontime, which he hasnt , and have a life insurance policy to cover alimony in the event of his death
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/15/2017
Family Lawyer: JD 1992, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response.

If you receive an email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

Your question "Will he be allowed to stop paying under these circumstances"

Answer:

That is entirely up to the judge. The law doesn't make it mandatory either way. Normally what your lawyer would have done would have been to put a statement in the divorce decree stating that the ongoing alimony was done to equalize the property distribution. If that language is in your divorce decree then it makes it less likely the judge will stop it. Other than that the burden is on him to show a reason why it should be stopped and the decision is up to the judge.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

JD 1992
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer