Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am trying to find out about a divorce/custody motion, Yes,

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to find out about a divorce/custody motion

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

KY

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Want to know what happens if ex files in a separate county after I already filed, but have yet to be placed on the docket

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/15/2017
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

One of the cases will be dismissed. Kentucky doesn't have a statute limiting where a divorce can be filed, which means that it can be done in any county in the state. When a spouse files in a county other than where either spouse lives, the other party can file a Motion for Change of Venue.

If you filed where you live and she filed where she lives, you can file a Motion to Dismiss in the county where she filed, letting the judge know that your case is already pending. You would attach a copy of the divorce complaint with the case number ***** the court and a copy of the proof of service showing when your spouse was notified of the pending case.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?