Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I need someone to come to lawyer's meeting and court because…

Customer Question
I need someone to come...
I need someone to come to lawyer's meeting and court because I don't understand complicated issues. If I bring people all lawyer's meeting and court, is there problem?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/14/2017
Family Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Are you asking if you can have a person, not a lawyer, represent you in court?

Not a lawyer. I may ask someone who can protect me. Reason is I don't understand complicated words. Interpreter is terrible in the court. They don't have high education, they pretend they understand English.I need someone who protect me, understand what's going on.

I am sorry to be the one to have to tell you this, if you are looking for someone to represent you in a court case, they MUST be a lawyer. It is illegal to represent someone, in a legal case, if you are not licensed to practice law.

So if you want someone to help you, they must be a licensed attorney

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can have someone other than an attorney represent you, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil

Not representing me, just for support.
I have been treated unfairly, unethical misconduct, lawyer tried to convince bad deal, and unconscionable settlement brfore.If bring support, I know that I loose confidentiality? Means? What's else?

If they are not a licensed attorney, the judge will NOT let them sit next to you for support...sorry...that is not possible.

Can I bring support to court if not sitting next me?
How about lawyer's meeting?

Sure..you can bring someone with you that is not a lawyer..but they can not represent you

What do I loose by bringing?
Something to do with confidentiality.

Yes...you would loose the right to confidentiality of you have a non lawyer there.

Similar question,
Can my friend discuss my financial settlement with my lawyer via email and all emails forwarded me?
The reason is I don't understand husband's compensation, retirement, and other assets.
If okay, do I have to write any legal paper?

That is possible, so long as the lawyer agrees. Some lawyer, myself included, would not allow this (since it removes the attorney client privilege). But it is not illegal...so if you can find a lawyer who agrees, you can do this

Loosing Attorney client privilege cause what harm?
Would you mind explain?

If you loose attorney client privilege then the information you share with your attorney can be discovered by the opposing party

How information discovered?
Would you give me example?

The other side could, for example, require the lawyer to provide this information in a deposition.

P. Simmons, Lawyer