Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My 16 year daughter has chronic UTI's and her blood work…

Customer Question
My 16 year daughter...

My 16 year daughter has chronic UTI's and her blood work shows infection. I took her to a GYN in Ann Arbor called 'woman's safe health'. I was there with my daughter.. paid out of pocket $270 for the appt and the doctor did not do an exam as I thought I was paying for. in addition, the doctor has stone walled me from the results of the urinalysis which i find out was positive for infection. She also gave my daughter a handful of birth control pills (I asked this alternative clinic to help provide/discuss options for birth control other than synthetic hormones) as they make my daughter sick. She has a spectrum disorder and lyme disease. Her blood work shows infection .. etc The doctor said I have no rights to see lab work nor will she discuss any of the appt with me

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Michigan this clinic has made things worse for my daughter's mental and physical health (depression, weight loss - from the hormones) it's thrown a complete wrecking ball in our lives

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No didn't know if i had any rights i brought my daughter's blood work in to this gyn clinic to show the doctor that she has some illness The blood work was from her psychiatrist

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

High c-reactive protein, ANA positive.. high white blood cell count and she perscrbes more birth control pills.. ugghhh

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/14/2017
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 11 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

So if this minor is under 17, then the MI Medical Records Access Act, MCL 333.26261-MCL 333.26271, states a minor’s parent, guardian, or person acting in loco parentis has the right to review and obtain a copy of the minor’s medical record, unless the minor lawfully obtained health care without the consent or notification of a parent, guardian, or other person acting in loco parentis, in which case the minor has the exclusive right to exercise the rights of a patient under this act with respect to those medical records relating to that care.

So the the doctor is incorrect in saying she cannot discuss your 16 year old's care under MI law, she can.

Additionally, you need to consider taking your daughter to another doctor and have them examine her, because if they determine the first doctor should not have treated her in the manner she did, then this is negligence which is malpractice and grounds to sue the first doctor. However, MI law requires a medical expert affidavit before you could file such a claim.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.