Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

FOR EMERGENCY GUARDIANSHIP, HOW SOON TO GET My wife is a…

Customer Question
FOR EMERGENCY GUARDIANSHIP, HOW...
FOR EMERGENCY GUARDIANSHIP, HOW SOON TO GETMy wife is a patient of dementia and refuse to go to the doctor please advise urgently, jay
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/14/2017
Family Lawyer: Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

I am sorry that you have to stuggle with this problem. I know how difficult these situations are.

You may be able to obtain an Emergency Order withing a couple weeks if you can demonstrate an urgent need. You must follow up with a Petition for Permanent Guardianship.

If she is acting out in a way that suggests that she is an immediate danger you can obtain an emergency commitment, which will provide at least a 72 hour hold and review.

You will want to consult an Elder Law Attorney as soon as you can. Most of these attorneys will meet with you to assess your situation at little initial cost. See this link to help find local counsel:

http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/practicestate/elder-law/georgia

These links have very useful information for you regarding the situation and the processes available:

http://gaprobate.gov/sites/default/files/probate/HANDBOOK_FOR_GUARDIANS.pdf

http://aging.dhr.georgia.gov/sites/aging.georgia.gov/files/imported/DHR-DAS/DHR-DAS_Publications/ELAP-%20GUARDIANSHIP%202012.pdf

http://www.treatmentadvocacycenter.org/georgia

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Here is the form that you need for the Emergency Petition:

http://gaprobate.gov/sites/default/files/probate/fillable_pdf_forms/Jan_31_2017/Form%2011%201-31-17.pdf

Kind regards,

Gerald

(Please do not forget to rate me – click the five stars. It adds nothing additional to your costs, but it helps me greatly. Plus it is good Karma for you. Thank you.)

Also to be clear the two weeks would be from the time of filing the Petition. As you can see from the Petition there is a great deal of work that must be done first to support the Petition.

Kind regards,

Gerald