How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald-Esquire Your Own Question
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4180
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Gerald-Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Customer Question

FOR EMERGENCY GUARDIANSHIP, HOW SOON TO GETMy wife is a patient of dementia and refuse to go to the doctor please advise urgently, jay
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 month ago.


Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

I am sorry that you have to stuggle with this problem. I know how difficult these situations are.

You may be able to obtain an Emergency Order withing a couple weeks if you can demonstrate an urgent need. You must follow up with a Petition for Permanent Guardianship.

If she is acting out in a way that suggests that she is an immediate danger you can obtain an emergency commitment, which will provide at least a 72 hour hold and review.

You will want to consult an Elder Law Attorney as soon as you can. Most of these attorneys will meet with you to assess your situation at little initial cost. See this link to help find local counsel:

These links have very useful information for you regarding the situation and the processes available:

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,


Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 month ago.

Here is the form that you need for the Emergency Petition:

Kind regards,


(Please do not forget to rate me – click the five stars. It adds nothing additional to your costs, but it helps me greatly. Plus it is good Karma for you. Thank you.)

Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 month ago.

Also to be clear the two weeks would be from the time of filing the Petition. As you can see from the Petition there is a great deal of work that must be done first to support the Petition.

Kind regards,