Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a couple of questions. In February 2014, I was conned…

Customer Question
I have a couple...

I have a couple of questions. In February 2014, I was conned out of almost 30,000. The man has been in prison in North Carolina since the summer of 2016, but is soon to be released: 9-29. He is not there on the crime he committed against me, but he is there for the same kind of crime committed against another woman. He has a long rap sheet and is a master con artist. Anyway, he has a warrant on my case in Georgia in DeKalb county. Is there anything I can do to get him picked up on the Georgia warrant? Also, am I able to file a civil lawsuit against this man? Thanks.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I live in Texas, but he took the money from me in Georgia and the arrest warrant is in Georgia. However, he was picked up on another warrant in North Carolina on another case in 2016 and has been incarcerated there since then. He is soon to be released from Hoke CI in North Carolina.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
Actually, he was incarcerated in NC in the summer of 2014.
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/14/2017
Family Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Attorney replied 9 months ago
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney

Thank you for your question.

You can phone the DA in Georgia and ask if that office has put a detainer on him in NC, and if not, remind the DA about the warrant and ask that a detainer be placed. Once a detainer is in place, NC cannot release him other than to the Georgia authorities.

I hope thisinformation is helpful.