How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thelawman2 Your Own Question
Thelawman2, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1612
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thelawman2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My huband abandoned me 5 yrs ago. i am unemployed and need

Customer Question

my huband abandoned me 5 yrs ago. i am unemployed and need help, he filed for a divorce and i waned to know what need to do to ask for alimony or spousal support in Rhode Island. i live in texas where we resided for30yr
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: he filed in rhode island, where he lives. i still live in tx
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: igot a little councel free but i dont have money for one, i did send a letter before court hearing an judge read it ti i could not make trip up there,
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes, the judge told him that i could ask for get spouse amony? but i dont know what i need to write in my letter before he goes back to court on the 21st, how i go about the request?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

What you should do is request the court to issue an order ordering your husband to pay money to you so that you can hire your own attorney for a divorce proceeding. Because you are still married, his assets are also your assets, and therefore, if he can afford to hire an attorney then he should also be hiring you an attorney as well.

That way you can be properly represented during the divorce proceeding and properly request spousal support.

Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 month ago.

What you might want to do is contact some divorce attorneys in Rhode Island who might be willing to file a motion with the court asking for your attorneys fees to be advanced by your husband.

Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 month ago.

I hope this has been helpful. If so, please provide a positive rating so I get credit for helping you today!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you for your help. can't afford anymore money, so i will pray and figure it out
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 month ago.

You are welcome. Please remember to provide a positive rating.