Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My huband abandoned me 5 yrs ago. i am unemployed and need…

Customer Question
My huband abandoned me...

My huband abandoned me 5 yrs ago. i am unemployed and need help, he filed for a divorce and i waned to know what need to do to ask for alimony or spousal support in Rhode Island. i live in texas where we resided for30yr

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

He filed in rhode island, where he lives. i still live in tx

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Igot a little councel free but i dont have money for one, i did send a letter before court hearing an judge read it ti i could not make trip up there,

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, the judge told him that i could ask for get spouse amony? but i dont know what i need to write in my letter before he goes back to court on the 21st, how i go about the request?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/14/2017
Family Lawyer: Thelawman2, Attorney replied 11 months ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

What you should do is request the court to issue an order ordering your husband to pay money to you so that you can hire your own attorney for a divorce proceeding. Because you are still married, his assets are also your assets, and therefore, if he can afford to hire an attorney then he should also be hiring you an attorney as well.

That way you can be properly represented during the divorce proceeding and properly request spousal support.

What you might want to do is contact some divorce attorneys in Rhode Island who might be willing to file a motion with the court asking for your attorneys fees to be advanced by your husband.

I hope this has been helpful. If so, please provide a positive rating so I get credit for helping you today!

thank you for your help. can't afford anymore money, so i will pray and figure it out

You are welcome. Please remember to provide a positive rating.