JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
11068102

I granted a divorce decree in 2003 Mich. I have recently

Customer Question

I granted a divorce decree in 2003 Mich. I have recently been notified that a exparte ruling by presiding judge dated 2004 said judge has died shortly afterwards. Question! Is this ruling still valid since l was just made aware of it in 2017! Is this order still valid or enforcible.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Michigan
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 month ago.

If you receive an email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 month ago.

The presumption that the order is valid. The fact that the judge has since passed away doesn't have any effect on anything. If you contend you did not receive notice then you may be able to go back to court and have the judge vacate the ex parte ruling but until that is done it is valid.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.