Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My son got married July 30th of this year. And he is wanting

Customer Question

My son got married July 30th of this year. And he is wanting an annulment. What does he need to do?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Alabama
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No he has not. He drives a truck and is gone for weeks.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about this. What is the basis that he wants to get the marriage annulled?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The girl he married, just stoped working, and says she is to sick to work and just wants to stay home. That was not what she said before the wedding, they talked about buying a house and everything and how Both would have to work to pay for it. She is going to Doctors to try to get on disability. My son does not want to be tied down to someone like that.

Thank you for the reply. Under the laws of the State of Alabama, a marriage is presumed to be valid and may only be annulled if it falls within very specific statutory grounds. If you do not fall within one of these statutory grounds for an annulment, you must file a petition for divorce in order to terminate the marital relationship. The statutory grounds for an annulment are below.

Incestuous Marriage: If a spouse discovers that the other spouse is a family member within a specific statutory decree of relationship then the marriage is against public policy and must be annulled.

Bigamy: At the time of the marriage, one of the parties is still married to another person the marriage is void and an annulment is proper.

Pre-marital concealment of pregnancy by another man: If a husband believes that at the time of the marriage his wife was pregnant with his child, and then later learns that the child is in fact not his, the marriage may be annulled. This constitutes fraud that goes to the heart of the marriage.

Fraudulent intent not to cohabit: If at the time of marriage, one of the spouse led the other spouse to believe that they would cohabitate and consummate the marriage but then subsequently refuses, the marriage may be annulled.

Fraudulent concealment of sexually transmitted disease: If prior to the solemnization of the marriage, a spouse learns that the other spouse was afflicted with a contagious and incurable sexually transmitted disease, the marriage may be annulled. The inflected spouse must have intentionally concealed the disease from the other spouse prior to the marriage.

Underage marriage: If one of the parties to the marriage was underage at the time of the marriage, without the consent of their parents, when the marriage may be annulled prior to the underage spouse reaching the age of majority.

Duress: If a spouse consents to marriage based on the threat of bodily harm being inflicted or a continuous threat of bodily harm, the marriage may be annulled.

Impotency: If after the marriage of the parties, and consultation with medical professionals, the wife learns that the parties are unable to consummate their marriage because the husband suffers from a pathological psychological condition, the marriage may be annulled.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No

No to what?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Why did you charge my card 42.00! I want that put back in my bank!! You said only $5.00 would be taken out!

Customer service can help with any questions you may have. I am a user like yourself, so please just contact them.