Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex-husband and I were married in 2011. • We moved in to a…

Customer Question
My ex-husband and I...

My ex-husband and I were married in 2011.
• We moved in to a rental house on Jan 2012.
• We signed a 1 yr contract which transitioned to month to month after the first year.
• In August 2015 he was charged with numerous DV cases, was prohibited from the property legally while the cases were being reviewed and while the PFA was in effect for 1 yr through August 2016.
• We divorced in Oct 2016.
• I permitted him back into the home until Nov 2016 at which time he became abusive again and returned to jail until May 2017.
• He broke in to the house several times, caused damages, was removed from the premises and charged with several counts of trespassing, illegal entry and burglary.
• He was released from jail June 2017 and stayed at homeless shelter in town.
• I gave him all of his belongings and informed him I was moving out of state for a promotion.
• I moved out on July 31st 2017; he remained in the hospital for severe burns.
• I am being billed by the landlord for appx $1900 (primarily damages caused by him, some of which are notated in numerous DV court cases) am informed by the lord advised I must pay it in full within 14 days.Are all of the damages solely my responsibility? In other words, do I legally have to pay the total amount or half?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Kansas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/13/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

A landlord does have a legal right to go after one or both tenants, for any damages suffered. Even though these may have been caused by him, if you resided there, the landlord could go after you and is likely doing so, because they think they have a better chance to recover. Now, if you refuse to pay, the burden would shift to the landlord to sue and if you want to try and settle this, you can and propose that you only pay half. If you do get sued and pay, you would have to turn around and sue your Ex to recover for the damages he caused or file a cross claim against him, if he is included in the lawsuit.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Ely, Counselor at Law