How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11842
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex-husband and I were married in 2011. • We moved in to a

Customer Question

My ex-husband and I were married in 2011.
• We moved in to a rental house on Jan 2012.
• We signed a 1 yr contract which transitioned to month to month after the first year.
• In August 2015 he was charged with numerous DV cases, was prohibited from the property legally while the cases were being reviewed and while the PFA was in effect for 1 yr through August 2016.
• We divorced in Oct 2016.
• I permitted him back into the home until Nov 2016 at which time he became abusive again and returned to jail until May 2017.
• He broke in to the house several times, caused damages, was removed from the premises and charged with several counts of trespassing, illegal entry and burglary.
• He was released from jail June 2017 and stayed at homeless shelter in town.
• I gave him all of his belongings and informed him I was moving out of state for a promotion.
• I moved out on July 31st 2017; he remained in the hospital for severe burns.
• I am being billed by the landlord for appx $1900 (primarily damages caused by him, some of which are notated in numerous DV court cases) am informed by the lord advised I must pay it in full within 14 days.Are all of the damages solely my responsibility? In other words, do I legally have to pay the total amount or half?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Kansas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 month ago.

A landlord does have a legal right to go after one or both tenants, for any damages suffered. Even though these may have been caused by him, if you resided there, the landlord could go after you and is likely doing so, because they think they have a better chance to recover. Now, if you refuse to pay, the burden would shift to the landlord to sue and if you want to try and settle this, you can and propose that you only pay half. If you do get sued and pay, you would have to turn around and sue your Ex to recover for the damages he caused or file a cross claim against him, if he is included in the lawsuit.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 month ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!