Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am in need of legal advice have one question. My

Customer Question
Good morning. I am...

Good morning. I am in need of legal advice have one question.
My ex-husband and I were married when we moved in to a Kansas rental on Jan 2012, signed a 1 yr contract which transitioned to month to month after the first year. We divorced in Oct 2016 and because of they were DV cases, he was prohibited from the property legally. He remained in jail from Nov 2016 to May 2017. After the PFA expired, he broke in to the house several times, caused damages, was removed from the premises and charged with counts of trespassing, illegal entry and burglary. I moved out on July 31st 2017 while he remained in the hospital for self-inflicted burns. I am being billed for nearly $1900 (primarily damages caused by him, some of which are notated in numerous DV court cases) and the land lord advised ME to pay it in full within 14 days.
Are all of the damages solely my responsibility? In other words, do I legally have to pay the total amount or half?
Thank you,
Rachelle Harllee***@******.***(###) ###-####

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ks

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

domestic violence charges, damages due to his breaking in

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/13/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about this. Were you both on the lease agreement and tenants of the landlord at that time?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
8226; My ex-husband and I were married in 2011.
• We moved in to a rental house on Jan 2012.
• We signed a 1 yr contract which transitioned to month to month after the first year.
• In August 2015 he was charged with numerous DV cases, was prohibited from the property legally while the cases were being reviewed and while the PFA was in effect for 1 yr through August 2016.
• We divorced in Oct 2016.
• I permitted him back into the home until Nov 2016 at which time he became abusive again and returned to jail until May 2017.
• He broke in to the house several times, caused damages, was removed from the premises and charged with several counts of trespassing, illegal entry and burglary.
• He was released from jail June 2017 and stayed at homeless shelter in town.
• I gave him all of his belongings and informed him I was moving out of state for a promotion.
• I moved out on July 31st 2017; he remained in the hospital for severe burns.
• I am being billed by the landlord for appx $1900 (primarily damages caused by him, some of which are notated in numerous DV court cases) am informed by the lord advised I must pay it in full within 14 days.
Family Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Different expert here...happy to help...but I am curious why you would have booted the prior expert...they asked a question and then you demanded a different expert...can you answer the question that they asked you (who is listed on the lease)?