How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34975
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband lefted me 3 years and we have tried to work out,

Customer Question

My husband lefted me 3 years and we have tried to work out, but I was totally disabled when we married in 1999 and for last 3 years he lefted me in Greensboro and went to south Carolina
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: He has not help me with money or support. There was abuse on his part in marriage. I am about on street and he makes great money but does not help me like he said he would. I got married disabled and was good wife, just sick. Does he owe me alimony like law says
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Thank you
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael Bradley replied 1 month ago.

married in 1999 and separated in 2014 or so?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Married in NC. My email is***@******.***
What questions do you need to answer if I can get alimony. I met all law requirements for NC law on alimony. I have not talked to lawyer very bad health and needing to get this started before I end up homeless
Expert:  Michael Bradley replied 1 month ago.

from what you have said you can make a claim for alimony pursuant to the divorce process

I would file for divorce and make request for alimony

are you still in Greensboro

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Who do I ask for alimony. Yes I am in Greensboro. He has big savings can hr be charged for attorney since we are still married.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is playing me cause I am sick. Not he married me this way and spent all my savings
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Bit he married this way and I took care of h and his children.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
R we still connected
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I see you demanded a new expert. What questions can I answer for you today?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
As soon as his child support was over is when he started making plans to move with his daughter. I bought this trailer 18 ago, he was fine as long as he owned his checks for child support. Never thought this would happen. What right do I have.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 month ago.

Are you still married?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 month ago.

and have you or he filed for divorce? IF so, what is the status?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, I don't have money, he says he don't want one
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 month ago.

So what is it specifically you want to accomplish?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We got married in 1999 and I was disabled when we got married. He has abused me and says I have no right to know his money. He promised to send me money when he lefted by has not. I have SD check to pay all and he has been living on easy street. I was good wife. NC law says I deserve alimony. He has be savings can I make him pay for lawyer yo get just enough money yo survive. This stress has to stop making me dangerously sock. Thank you
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 month ago.

Ma'am, I understand that. But I am not sure your specific question. Are you asking how to obtain a divorce?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When you get married disabled, take care of husband and his children for many years, does sponse owe you alimony and since we are still married can I make him pay my lawyer out off his big savings account?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 month ago.

Thank you

There is no "automatic right" to alimony. Period. Rather, the court will consider all the factors presented, during the divorce, to make a determination if alimony is appropriate.

That said, if your husband has supported you, and you do not have the ability to work/earn income on your own? Then you may well be entitled to alimony.

The court can order he pay you money from the bank account you are mentioning (his big saving account) IF that was money earned during your marriage.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We are married
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 month ago.

I understand. But if you file for divorce, the court can order he pay you alimony

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
right number
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 month ago.

sorry....I do not understand what you mean by "Yes right number"