Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband lefted me 3 years and we have tried to work out,

Customer Question
My husband lefted me...

My husband lefted me 3 years and we have tried to work out, but I was totally disabled when we married in 1999 and for last 3 years he lefted me in Greensboro and went to south Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

He has not help me with money or support. There was abuse on his part in marriage. I am about on street and he makes great money but does not help me like he said he would. I got married disabled and was good wife, just sick. Does he owe me alimony like law says

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Thank you

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/13/2017
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 8 months ago
Michael Bradley

married in 1999 and separated in 2014 or so?

Married in NC. My email is***@******.***
What questions do you need to answer if I can get alimony. I met all law requirements for NC law on alimony. I have not talked to lawyer very bad health and needing to get this started before I end up homeless
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 8 months ago

from what you have said you can make a claim for alimony pursuant to the divorce process

I would file for divorce and make request for alimony

are you still in Greensboro

Who do I ask for alimony. Yes I am in Greensboro. He has big savings can hr be charged for attorney since we are still married.
He is playing me cause I am sick. Not he married me this way and spent all my savings
Bit he married this way and I took care of h and his children.
R we still connected
Family Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I see you demanded a new expert. What questions can I answer for you today?

As soon as his child support was over is when he started making plans to move with his daughter. I bought this trailer 18 ago, he was fine as long as he owned his checks for child support. Never thought this would happen. What right do I have.

Are you still married?

Thanks
and have you or he filed for divorce? IF so, what is the status?

No, I don't have money, he says he don't want one

Thanks
So what is it specifically you want to accomplish?

We got married in 1999 and I was disabled when we got married. He has abused me and says I have no right to know his money. He promised to send me money when he lefted by has not. I have SD check to pay all and he has been living on easy street. I was good wife. NC law says I deserve alimony. He has be savings can I make him pay for lawyer yo get just enough money yo survive. This stress has to stop making me dangerously sock. Thank you

Ma'am, I understand that. But I am not sure your specific question. Are you asking how to obtain a divorce?

When you get married disabled, take care of husband and his children for many years, does sponse owe you alimony and since we are still married can I make him pay my lawyer out off his big savings account?

Thank you

There is no "automatic right" to alimony. Period. Rather, the court will consider all the factors presented, during the divorce, to make a determination if alimony is appropriate.

That said, if your husband has supported you, and you do not have the ability to work/earn income on your own? Then you may well be entitled to alimony.

The court can order he pay you money from the bank account you are mentioning (his big saving account) IF that was money earned during your marriage.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

We are married

I understand. But if you file for divorce, the court can order he pay you alimony

right number

sorry....I do not understand what you mean by "Yes right number"

P. Simmons, Lawyer