Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I am recently divorced and my husband has pictures and

Customer Question

I am recently divorced and my husband has pictures and videos of me in sexual situations that he is constantly holding over me and threatening to show my parents, out in Facebook, send to my church, etc. if I make him mad or if I don't do or say what he wants. The pictures were all things he wanted or asked of me while we were married but certainly not anything I ever want known or shown to anyone ever. They were a huge part in the decision to divorce. He is angry about the divorce so it is always being threatened that he will show them. I almost cannot take it anymore. I am constantly nervous and on edge waiting to see if today is the day he is mad enough to destroy me. Is this anything that I can legally stop?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Does my name or anything show up on this?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Ms
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. I just wonder if this is something I can stop or not
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Based upon what you shared above, you likely want to address this with the Judge, while the divorce is still pending. While it may be uncomfortable to speak about in open court, your attorney or you, can advise the Judge of the situation and what he has in his possession and issue an order, that he is not to share these, are to turn it over to you and to destroy any copies he has. The goal is to get this ordered, so the judge has the ability to hold him in contempt, if he violates it and does anything with this and he could be placed in jail, for violating the court order, if needed.

If you are divorced already, you would need to take him back to court and get the decree amended and to address this, if he still has them.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the divorce is final as of a few weeks ago

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was afraid that would be all I could do.

I know it is not ideal. If he does something, you could go after him civilly and see if there is any basis for the State to charge him criminally. If he is blackmailing you and demanding things from you and using these, as the basis, you could go to the police.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is only lording them over me to control me and keep me scared he will show them because he knows they humiliate me. I don't think he has anything to gain from it other than the satisfaction of hurting me and that's his goal. Guess that's not illegals.

It would be illegal if his intent is to harm, which is why I suggested taking him back to court and adding language to the decree.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!