Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What happens if after a divorce a child support order was…

What happens if after...

What happens if after a divorce a child support order was never filed?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I havent.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Ex wife and I had very amicable divorce. She is not seeking child support, but had to report not receiving any for after school day care assistance.

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/13/2017
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Was this an oversight on the part of the court or was it just that neither party asked for it?

.

Are you asking if that can be changed?

.

.

thanks

I just reviewed my old paperwork. There WAS a case filed about 7 years ago, but we decided to just work together on the payments and I never set up to make payments to the child support division. My ex isn't demanding payments, but now the state is trying to gather information (employment, etc) from me.

Ok, well if you both agreed to basically waive child support, then nothing will happen because the state won't force child support unless one party is actively seeking it.

.

However, should the custodial parent change their mind, they can always file a motion to modify and have the court establish a child support amount up until the child turns 18.

.

.

thanks

That's what we both thought. Do courts typically agree with parents as long as they are amicable and the kids are in a good situation?

Yes, the court isn't going to force the issue as long as the child is being provided for and is happy and healthy..

Barrister, Lawyer
Thank you. I appreciate the advice. We were worried this would turn into some legal nightmare.
Barrister, Lawyer