Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I've just been mailed an intent to levy for child support

I've just been mailed an intent to levy for child support arrearages due I have no way to pay the total costs of nearly 25,000. How can I protect my home and husbands income if we have a joint checking acct?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I live in Oregon, levy is coming f err on Florida
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No sadly I can't really afford one
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not off the top of my head

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You would need to seek to take your name off of any bank accounts and seek to quit claim the home to him so the deed is in his name only, this way they cannot place a lien on your share of the ownership in the home. Other than that, the only other thing you can do is contact child support enforcement and try to negotiate a payment plan or if you dispute the support, you would require an attorney in FL to go to court to fight to reduce the support and the arrears.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your advice it is much appreciated.

Thank you for your reply.