How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35003
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Maybe, VA, not about this topic, well what exactly are we

Customer Question

JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: VA
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: not about this topic
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: well what exactly are we talking about here? I just found this website and your box popped up. is there a cost ?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Family Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: Are there lawyers from my local area ?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I live in Virginia have been divorced for about eight years. I was married over 20 years. My divorce agreement states that I shall pay spousal support for the rest of my life or in untill my ex remarries or dies. I am realizing now that I will never be able to retire because the amount I pay her is almost almost exactly what I should get from social security when I retire. What are the chances of me having the spousal support removed?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 month ago.

This depends. Can you tell me, has your income decreased since the divorce decree was issued? Has hers increased?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She is working now and was not before. My income fluctuates a lot since I am self employed.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 month ago.

That would be the key...if the court issued a support order, that is not modifiable UNLESS there is a significant change in circumstances of the parties. SO, for example, if your income has decreased, and hers has increased? That would be a basis to go back to court and ask the court to modify the support order, based on the changes

So if she is making more money now, you can use that as a basis to request the court modify (reduce) the order

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.