Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Maybe, VA, not about this topic, well what exactly are we…

Customer Question
VA Lawyer's Assistant: Have...

VA

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not about this topic

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well what exactly are we talking about here? I just found this website and your box popped up. is there a cost ?

Lawyer's Assistant: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Family Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.

Are there lawyers from my local area ?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/12/2017
Family Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?

I live in Virginia have been divorced for about eight years. I was married over 20 years. My divorce agreement states that I shall pay spousal support for the rest of my life or in untill my ex remarries or dies. I am realizing now that I will never be able to retire because the amount I pay her is almost almost exactly what I should get from social security when I retire. What are the chances of me having the spousal support removed?

This depends. Can you tell me, has your income decreased since the divorce decree was issued? Has hers increased?

She is working now and was not before. My income fluctuates a lot since I am self employed.

That would be the key...if the court issued a support order, that is not modifiable UNLESS there is a significant change in circumstances of the parties. SO, for example, if your income has decreased, and hers has increased? That would be a basis to go back to court and ask the court to modify the support order, based on the changes

So if she is making more money now, you can use that as a basis to request the court modify (reduce) the order

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Lawyer