Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
17897874

Husband filed for divorce and my father passed away 3 weeks

Customer Question

husband filed for divorce and my father passed away 3 weeks after divorce was filed. can husband expect to get some of my inheritance since he filed for divorce prior to my father passing away.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: oops sorry, connecticut
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: filed or reported? do you mean the inheritance or divorce
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

No, as a general rule, a spouse would not have a claim on an inheritance received by the other spouse. This is true whether you are living together or not.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Are you online with me?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
just back.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Did you have further questions? Please let me know if I have answered your question.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!