How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11842
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My childs father and i were never married. Have not been

Customer Question

my childs father and i were never married. Have not been together since our child was born. We have an open child support case. How do we determine who has legal custody? My son has lived with me all his life, there are a few changes that will be made soon
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, not yet.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's it. Thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 month ago.
Ideally you negotiate between you on either shared custody with select days or sole custody and visitation. If you cannot agree can petition to the court to decide with the custody Normally provided to the mother. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 month ago.

awaiting your reply, thank you.