Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My childs father and i were never married. Have not been

Customer Question

my childs father and i were never married. Have not been together since our child was born. We have an open child support case. How do we determine who has legal custody? My son has lived with me all his life, there are a few changes that will be made soon
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, not yet.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's it. Thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 month ago.
Ideally you negotiate between you on either shared custody with select days or sole custody and visitation. If you cannot agree can petition to the court to decide with the custody Normally provided to the mother. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"

awaiting your reply, thank you.