How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 57687
Experience:  Experienced lawyer
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is a car title dispute - can you help with that? North

This answer was rated:

This is a car title dispute - can you help with that?
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: North Carolina
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My husband co-signed as the pri***** *****en holder. His daughter stopped making payments, hasn't kept the tags and insurance up to date and the car was stolen. Once recovered, my husband was held responsible for for $400 in parking tickets and $50 per day on the impound lot. $700 to have the car towed and now it's got a broken axel. How can we protect ourselves from further liability?

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

He can have the car returned and surrendered in exchange for a release. He can negotiate new terms and seek to be removed from the liability. He can demand she assume the debt and sign an agreement agreeing to indemnify him in the event of any past or future claims, including signing a promissory note for any amount owing.

Kindly let me know if those options are clear and the answer acceptable.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I wish it were that simple. My husband has paid off the car, thinking that would end the problem, but it seems to have exacerbated it. She is now planning to sue him for the money she put into the car and it still isn't repaired. Can we get her off the title and try to recoup what we've put in?

Yes, but to do both if you cannot agree, you would need to sue her or counter sue to get a court order or come to a settlement.

Often the judge on hearing these facts will mediate a settlement along the lines you are thinking.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok that's what I was thinking too. Thank you.

Very welcome. Good luck.

Kindly take a moment to click on your screen the 5 stars option.

Infolawyer and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you