How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAttorney Your Own Question
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1503
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, appellate attorney, GAL & former trial lawyer, licensed for 37 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAttorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriend tricked me into getting her pregnant i found

Customer Question

my girlfriend tricked me into getting her pregnant i found logs, prenatal pills and calanders mapping out a 4 day prime time to get pregnannt
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: califonia weve been active for 7 years and shes never been on borth control and knows her cycle..... at the time she said
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not yet.....
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: kid was born and she just wanted to collect childsupport..... shes taking me to court friday
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
but she told me it was ok that night and she marked in calendar prime pregnancy time......shes a money hungry whore and this isnt right
Expert:  retireddebra replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  retireddebra replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry. I thought you were in Canada.

I will ask the site to move this to the US family law list.


Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok will iut take long
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. I’m a licensed attorney with 37 years’ extensive experience in family law, trials, appeals, contracts, landlord-tenant, and other types of law.

This is general information and not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed, and no attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Also, I’d like to review your question for a minute and type your answer. If I am not here for a few minutes, that means I am typing your answer. THIS IS NOT YOUR ANSWER YET so please allow me time to type it up for you. It may take a few minutes, so please understand that. Thanks!

If a request for a phone call comes in, it is from the site, not from me. I will be happy to have a phone call with you but only if you want it. If you would like to request a phone call, that’s fine too. There is no pressure and we can stay here if you’d like.

So to clarify, you're saying she tricked you into this, saying that she wouldn't get pregnant during that time?

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 month ago.

I'm going to presume that is what you're saying here. Do you have an attorney? You might want to consider bringing an attorney with you to court. I would strongly advise it.

So she had the child, and she's not willing to put the child up for adoption?

There are no hard and fast rules about how to get out of paying child support. Most courts don't allow you to terminate your rights just to avoid child support, but maybe new law needs to be made. If you can show that she tricked you into getting pregnant, you may have an easier time, but you will have to show that you did something to prevent the pregnancy also, which you can't show if it was unprotected sex. You took her word for it and she lied. And lied.

I'm really sorry about this.This is not a good way to find out she's been lying to you.

One way you can try to get out of this is to be honest with the court, tell the court she tricked you into it and explain what great lengths she went to to deceive you, and how she deceived you.

The issue of terminating parental rights in California often comes up as part of an adoption process. For example, in a stepparent adoption (if she were to marry someone else), the biological father (you) can consent to the adoption and voluntarily waive your parental rights. It would have to be a stepparent adoption and then you would be able to terminate your rights.

So,she would have to serve you with father with notice; you can waive further notice or, if you do not file a paternity action within 30 days, your rights can be terminated, often without a hearing in California.

Other than that, there are really no guidelines for terminating your parental rights.

In some extreme cases, a judge may side with you and decide that you were tricked into this so you shouldn't have to pay child support, but this is rare and there really isn't legal precedent for this in Cal at this time, so you'd have to make new case law. Seriously, making new case law has been done. One of my cases made new case law in my state. Occasionally that happens.

Other than that, I strongly suggest you get a lawyer and fight this tooth and nail.

I don’t always say to get a lawyer, but in this instance I would. We aren't allowed to refer to any particular lawyer. However, what I do here, which helps my customers tremendously, is I give you a list of lawyers in your area and I'll show you how easy it is to pick one.

I have a short, easy to understand free guide and it will show you what to look for in an attorney. You can always run your picks by me and I can let you know if I think you're on the right track. I will also look for LegalAid and pro bono attorneys in your area if you tell me to do that. I just need to know where to look. The bigger the city the better. My customers tell me they have found great lawyers from my information. This part is free of charge -- I do this as a courtesy to my customers here. Just let me know if you want this information.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks so much
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 month ago.

You're most welcome. Just let me know if you need any information about where to find lawyers, and I'd need to know where you're located -- the largest city nearby.

Good luck to you! You can come back here free of charge after I'm rated for a follow-up question.

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can help you with. That includes looking for lawyers. I’m happy to do so! I’m here most of the time (usually at night!) so you can always come back and talk to me (no extra charge) after I’m rated. If I’m not here, I will get an email if you leave me a question.

Please accept my answer, and please rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars (5, 4 or 3 stars, 5 stars would be much appreciated as I ALWAYS strive to give you 5 star service!). This can be found AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information such as where to find lawyers. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. I have given you the benefit of my legal knowledge and 37 years of experience as well as my time. My statistics show that almost 100% of my customers here have been extremely satisfied with my answers as I am always truthful and thorough.

Feel free to come back here for a follow-up question based on this one.
You're welcome to ask follow-up questions at any time, any day after I'm rated, free of charge.

We are not employees of Just Answer but are independent contractors, so your rating is very important to us so that we can be reimbursed for our work. Thank you! I'd rather be given the chance to add more information than be rated negatively, so I thank you for that.

If you want to ask for me specifically another time -- for a new question -- ask for "NYFamilyAttorney ONLY" and I will get the question. Otherwise you can come right back into this room for follow-ups, free of charge.

Best of luck to you and thank you for letting me help you today! Thanks in advance for rating me!

I strive for 5 star service every time, so if there's anything else I can do to earn that, I'm happy to do so.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 month ago.

Hi, just checking in to see if you still need help with your question and if my answer was helpful for you or if there is any more information that you need. Let me know if you need names of lawyers and I can help you if you let me know where you live.Thanks!