How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11842
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question about child custody, I am in Ca, but my

Customer Question

I have a question about child custody
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am in Ca, but my daughter, as of yesterday is in Wa State
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I am trying to , but no one seems to have any knowledge
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My husband and I are in the middle of a divorce, but have no agreement as far as child custody. He came yesterday nd took her from me, which I am aware that he is is able to do. I would like to do the same, but there are so many issues surrounding it, I don't know what to do about it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael Bradley replied 1 month ago.

so you are in CA and he is in WA and no upcoming change in that arrangement?

no formal court order?

how old is the child?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
As of right now, there is no formal court order regarding who she is supposed to be with. we don't even have a court date for our divorce. our daughter is 10 .
Expert:  Michael Bradley replied 1 month ago.

how long have you been in CA and he in WA?

how long has the child been in WA?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have been in Ca since the beginning of WA and she has been here since July. All three of us were born in Wa, but moved there in 2010. If I enroll her in a school and then fly up and get her, would I be breaking any laws?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry, I have been in CA since the beginning of Aug
Expert:  Michael Bradley replied 1 month ago.

with no court order in place, no you would not be breaking any laws

what were the circumstances in him taking her to WA

I am assuming you did not agree to it