How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11842
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am being hurrassed by my landlords daughter to move out of

Customer Question

I am being hurrassed by my landlords daughter to move out of the house. She does not own the house..I was taking care of him for the past 6 months and he has since fell and broke his hip at 82 years old and has been asking me to please stay in the house till he comes home. My mom lives there as well. His daughter is making accusations and is threatening to kick me out if I do not pay 1000.00 today. I lived there rent free in lew of taking care of Don the homeowner friend of 10 years due to his age and not be able to care for himself. A women was going in 5 days a week 4 hours a day and I would care for him after work and on weekend. He broke his hip 6 weeks ago and is now in a board and care....He is fully capable of making deciions on his own although his daughter has been very very hard on my mother and I for monitary reasons. I need help please..What do I do what are my rights. I do not have money to move out. I don't want problems...
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon. Is the landlord/owner allowing you to stay? Does the daughter have POA over the owner and their property or decisions?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She does not have a POA and yes he is allowing us to stay but she is making it impossible. No hot water for the past week. She says she has all financial rights over him.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 month ago.

Unless the POA allows her to evict and have you removed from the home, she has no right to do so and the landlord and their decision to allow you to remain, would control. Even though she has control of his finances, it may not include the property and the rights to evict, so you could contest this. If she is forcing you out, you could turn around and sue her for the damages suffered and costs incurred, in the move.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She has had her attorney call me and tell me if I didn't come up with $1,000 today that I had to get out her attorney told me that
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 month ago.

If she has control over his affairs and can not charge rent, there is a legal basis to support that but you need to find out and know the scope of the POA. You can ask the attorney to see this and what legal basis she has to make this demand but if it turns out to be accurate and she now controls his affairs, she can ask for it and does not have to allow you to live there in exchange for your care of him.