Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

How to you have to be together to have common law marriage…

How long to you have...
How long to you have to be together to have common law marriage in Colorado and what things do you need to do it!
9/11/2017
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Contrary to popular believe, common law marriage does not require people to be together any specific length of time. A couple could enter into a common law marriage on the day they met if they wanted to. All that is required is that each person makes a promise to the other to be married, with the intent that they be immediately married (rather than a promise to marry later), that they live together, and that they hold themselves out to the community as a married couple. That last one typically includes referring to the other person as husband, wife, or spouse, rather than girlfriend, boyfriend, partner or other term.

Because marriage is a binding contract, it requires consent. A couple would never become legally married without their knowledge simply by living together for a long time, even if they're together for decades.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I rtsrt the process to proceed with my chance at getting at least third considering quote from his daughters they were estranged from there daughters. I am the one who took to the dr many times and waited on him. In 3 years he saw one daughter 4 times and the other daughter 3 times basically no relationship.

In order to claim any assets from his estate, you need to prove that the two of you were common law married.

I unfortunately do not work in estate law, so I can't walk you through the process beyond that. If you believe you do meet those requirements, the next step would be to speak with an estate law expert.

Also keep in mind that any jointly titled assets are not part of the estate and you would become the 100% owner of them. So if you had a joint bank account or owned your home together as "joint tenants," that belongs to you outright.