Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

How do I find a pro-bono lawyer?

Customer Question

How do I find a pro-bono lawyer?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalPro54 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Pro bono means that the lawyer is working for you for free. Unfortunately, most lawyers take extremely few cases on a pro bono basis, simply because they have a business to run and need to be paid for their services. Moreover, attorneys generally only handle cases on a pro bono basis when there is a greater public interest involved. Family law cases are very rarely handled on a pro bono basis.

Still, you could certainly attempt to contact local attorneys to see if they will handle your case pro bono. Here is a local directory. My guess is that you will not find anyone willing to represent you for free, but you never know.

As an alternative to pro bono representation, you may wish to ask local attorneys if they offer "unbundled" legal services. This simply refers to offering services on a piecemeal basis and not being the attorney of record. For example, the attorney may write a specific motion and charge for that motion only, then you submit the motion in your name. This is often a low cost alternative to formal representation, although many attorneys do not offer it for liability reasons.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best with your case.