How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13857
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to know if it is possible to change legal name

Customer Question

I would like to know if it is possible to change legal name in New York if the applicant had a misdemeanor 10 years ago, has just plead guilty to a felony C and will have 5 years of probation starting soon. If yes, what are the chances and if no, is it possible to change name after probation is over?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 month ago.

Good evening,

It's not specifically prohibited by law that you cannot get a name change if you are currently on probation, but you would have to provide proof to the court of any conviction and the details. You would also have to attest in a petition for a name change that you are not doing so for an illegal reason (e.g. to get out of paying creditors or to avoid paying child support). At the very least, I would get the okay from your probation officer before filing the petition, but I could see a judge definitely having a problem with granting the name change while on probation (just my professional opinion, ultimately a judge has the final say).

I think your chances are much better once probation is over.