Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My sons father and I were never married and never went to…

Customer Question
My sons father and...

My sons father and I were never married and never went to court for custody - we shared his weeks evenly - his father enrolled him into a preschool in another county without my knowledge or consent - the school refused my unenroll mental as they had no clue I, the mother, existed. Is this in any way legal? Also, my pediatricians office changed my son's address from mine (of 4 years) to his father's so that immunization records look like my son live in the schools county. Who can I hold responsible for this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Nj

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No although I did file an emergent claim in order to get my son bavk - essentially his father is dictating when I can see him

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My claim was denied

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
As an unmarried mother in nj, don't I have sole legal custody until his father files in court?
9/11/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Have you filed a custody suit here or tried to invovle the police?

The police refuse to be involved because they are not family court.

So you may have to file legal custody here to get the child back.

Lawyer for you here by city

New Jersey

• Atlantic County Bar Association LRS
    Atlantic City, NJ(###) ###-####br />Atlantic County
  • Camden County Bar Association LRS
    Camden, NJ(###) ###-####br />Camden County
  • Cape May County Bar Association LRS
    Cape May, NJ(###) ###-####br />Cape May County
  • Union County LRS
    Elizabeth, NJ
    ((***) ***-****
    Union County
  • Monmouth Bar Association LRS
    Freehold,NJ(###) ###-####br />Monmouth, Ocean and Middlesex Counties
  • Bergen County Bar Association LRS
    Hackensack, NJ(###) ###-####br />(***) ***-****
    Bergen County
  • Mercer County Bar Association
    Hamilton, NJ(###) ###-####br />Mercer County
  • Morris County Bar Association LRS
    Morristown, NJ(###) ###-####br />Morris County
  • Sussex County Lawyer Referral Service
    Morristown, NJ(###) ###-####br />Sussex County
  • Warren County Lawyer Referral Service
    Belvidere, NJ(###) ###-####br />Warren County
  • Burlington County Bar Association LRS
    Mt. Holly, NJ(###) ###-####br />(***) ***-****
    Burlington County
  • Middlesex County Bar Association LRS
    New Brunswick, NJ(###) ###-####br />Middlesex County
  • Essex County Bar Association LRS
    Newark, NJ(###) ###-####br />Essex County
  • Passaic County Bar Association LRS
    Paterson, NJ(###) ###-####br />Passaic County
  • Hunterdon County Bar Association LRS
    Annaudale, NJ(###) ###-####br />Hunterdon County
  • Somerset County Bar Association LRS
    Somerville, NJ(###) ###-####br />Somerset County
  • Cumberland County Bar Association LRS
    Vineland, NJ(###) ###-####br />Cumberland County
  • Gloucester County LRS
    Woodbury, NJ(###) ###-####br />Gloucester County

I am so sorry that you are having to deal with this, I wish you the best in court.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer