Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Does a superior court judge have jurisdiction or ssa

Customer Question
Does a superior court judge...
Does a superior court judge have jurisdiction or ssa survivor benifits. I am my grandaughters rep payee and I have a court order to have the money deposited in a blocked acciunt.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/11/2017
Family Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question. Normally that would be resolved within the agency. If there is a dispute a federal court would typically have jurisdiction over it. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello, new expert here.. I see you requested a new expert to assist so I will try to help..

.

Did the judge order that the money needs to go into an account where it can't be withdrawn from?

.

Was there some allegation of misuse of funds?

.

What is the reason for the judge ordering the money to be put in this account?

.

.

thanks

Ordered in

Ok, so the judge stated that the money has to go into the account..

.

1. Was there some reason why he ordered this and has prevented you from being able to access it?

.

2. Was this a probate court judge?

.

3. Are you the legal guardian of the your granddaughter?

1 the judge ordered the money into a blocked account until she is 18 or a court order.2 the judge gave no reason and there was no alegation of misuse. 3 I'm a Co guardian and the rep payee for her social security benifits.it's my understanding the state has no jurisdiction over ssa benifits.

Ok, thank you for that information.. While the state doesn't have any power to order SS to do anything, a state judge does have the power over guardianship and conservatorship proceedings and under that power, the judge has the right to control the handling and disposition of the assets of a minor until they become an adult.

.'

So for example, the judge wouldn't have any authority to order SS to increase the amount of money a recipient gets, but the judge would have the authority to limit a conservator's or guardian's control over that money until the minor reached the age of majority.

.

With that said, if you as guardian needed funds to pay for child's care and expenses, then your recourse here is to file a petition with the court to have it grant you some type of access to that money so you can use it for the child's benefit.

.

.'

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer