JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
11068102

I got married 7 years ago, but my husband left when he knew

Customer Question

Hi I got married 7 years ago, but my husband left when he knew I was pregnant can I get a annulment
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: california
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: In this marriage I was pressure to get marriage
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 month ago.

Please allow me some time to read your facts and type my response.

If you receive an email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 month ago.

Most people don't realize it but annulments are very, very limited and can only be granted for very specific grounds, normally having to do with fraud or inability to get married in the first place. The reasons listed that a judge might grant an annulment are:

1. the couple is related by blood
  2. one of the spouses was already married at the time this marriage was entered into (bigamy)
  3. the person requesting the annulment was less than 18 years old when they were married
  4. either spouse used fraud to get the other party to consent to marry (an example of this is their sole reason to get married was to become a citizen of the U.S. and the other spouse was unaware of this)
  5. one of the spouses has an incurable, physical incapacity (normally this means the male is impotent and the other spouse is unaware)
  6. either spouse is of unsound mind
  7. one spouse forced the other to get married and usually by illegal intimidation such as threaten bodily harm, etc.

If none of those reasons apply, and they usually don't, then your only alternative is to get a divorce. It is much, much easier to get a divorce than an annulment.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.