Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My sister just passed away and in her will she says I should…

Customer Question
My sister just passed...

My sister just passed away and in her will she says I should take her 7 year old son do I need a guardianship certificate from the family court. The childs father is unknown

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

MA

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Well apparently the social worker had a lawyer set up for my sister while she was alive she died of canvcer on Sunday and was buried yesterday Friday

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Thant the lawyer here went to the family court with the case and we were granted temporary guardianship till December but the child can not be taken out of Massachusetts. I live In Arizona and the court date is October right now the child dose not have a family to live with in MA the plan was to pick him up after the burial

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/9/2017
Family Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for your loss.

I want to make sure I understand...have you filed a request with the probate court in MA to be appointed guardian?