RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

My husband and I are fostering two of our grandchildren, as

Customer Question

My husband and I are fostering two of our grandchildren, as the state of Texas took custody of them via CPS on August 18. Among the myriad of forceful tactics and hoards of people now involved with our lives, we are scheduled for our Home Study on Sunday afternoon. The questionnaire we received as required is 15 pages long and includes many detailed financial questions which are highly intrusive. Our daughter, who is fostering the third of our grandchildren from the same family and placement time, is also being interviewed by someone else on Sunday. She was emailed their questionnaire yesterday, which is 9 pages long and contains none of the financial, or some other categories of, detail that ours does. We've both emailed the examiners and have received replies that we're being studied by different contracted agencies. Apparently, the Home Study is open to interpretation by the agency. We object to this disparity and want to refuse to answer the questions we've been given and answer instead the questions our daughter was given. Help!!!
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. We just realized via our daughter's forwarding their questionnaire yesterday afternoon that ours was extremely different. My husband contacted a local attorney versed in CPS, but we can't get in until Monday and the interview is Sunday.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

If you are asked personal information which you are uncomfortable releasing then respond to it by saying you are not comfortable with them having such information.Certainly it is your financial privacy here and you may have valid reasons to refuse to answer some of these questions.They likely have to approve you anyway federal law gives you priority over strangers as far as placement.Only answer what you are comfortable with, nothing more.You have rights here to maintain some level of privacy from the state.

I appreciate the chance to help you today, let me know if you have more.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We have nothing to hide in our finances, just are livid over the intrusive questions that apparently are not required. If we have rights to maintain some level of privacy from the state, we can assert them by doing as you recommend, but how do we protect them when we have nothing in writing that says we have them except your advice?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, I don't want to pay to call you. Is there a document I can access that has such rights stated?