Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband is having an affair with our 18 year old niece.

Customer Question
My husband is having...

My husband is having an affair with our 18 year old niece. She is my biological niece and his niece by marriage. She is now 18 years old. But we received full custody of her when she was 15. Is this considered incest in the state of Ohio?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes, but not about the incest part. Just about a divorce

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/8/2017
Family Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 11 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

ok thank you
Family Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 11 months ago

I am sorry to hear that you are dealing with such a horrible situation.

Here is the Ohio Statute relating to incest:

(A) No person shall engage in sexual conduct with another, not the spouse of the offender, when any of the following apply:

The offender is the other person's natural or adoptive parent, or a stepparent, or guardian, custodian, or person in loco parentis of the other person.

Ohio only punishes offenders of incest if they are the parents of the victim(s).

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

then would this situation be considered incest?
Family Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 11 months ago

Yes, you are both custodians and guardians of your niece.

even though she is 18 and no longer living with us? And this is legal and there would be no repercussions for him?
Family Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 11 months ago

No, it is a criminal offense. The fact that she is legally an adult does not change your custodial and guardian status.

thank you!
Family Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 11 months ago

You're very welcome!

Did you have any follow-up questions or need me to clarify anything? If not, please do not forget to rate my services at the top of the page (hopefully 5 stars), otherwise I get no credit for helping you today.

one more thing. Your previous response says Ohio does not punish the offender unless they are a parent. Does this mean he would not be punished?
Family Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 11 months ago

I mean that they are considered a parent for these purposes.

The penalty is 3rd degree felony (sexual battery); if imprisoned for 2 yrs or more, person serves a term of post-imprisonment supervision.

The statute is ORC §2907.03.

thanks!
Family Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 11 months ago

Again, you are very welcome! I wish you the best of luck.

Please do not forget to rate my services at the top of the page (hopefully 5 stars), otherwise I get no credit for helping you today.