How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13881
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son's father wants to come out to visit his son with his

Customer Question

My son's father wants to come out to visit his son with his new girlfriend. Do I have the right to meet her before she hangs out with my son?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 month ago.


Unless there is something in your custody/visitation agreement that gives you such a right (and I've seen all sorts of things in custody agreements), then legally, no. The reality is the court understands that people are going to start dating and entering into new relationships and children will be exposed to these new people in their parents' lives, but the court also gives a lot of leeway to parents to make decisions based on what they feel is in the best interest of their children and of course to use their judgment to not put them in contact with people who will harm/endanger them.

I would definitely address your concerns with the child's father of course and explain that you aren't comfortable just yet and that you would feel better meeting them in person first (or if that's not an option, perhaps you could even talk on the phone first) but legally you cannot deny the father the right to see his son or have visitation time because his girlfriend is with him.

Now, if you have reason to be concerned about her - you know for a fact that she is a drug addict for example --you may wish to file a motion in court to amend your custody/visitation agreement that she not be allowed contact with your child when with his father.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 month ago.

Was there anything further I could assist you with, or additional information you needed regarding this matter? If so, please reply without rating my answer, and I'll be happy to help. Otherwise, please do remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars as that is the only way I will be credited by the website. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi! Another question regarding this subject. We are having issues regarding the visitation schedule. His father wants him Friday morning until Sunday evening. He's only had one alone overnight visitiation and our agreement states we have a "stepped up visitation." I think two nights and three full days are too much for him right now. What are my options? Can I suggest mediation?