Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My son's father wants to come out to visit his son with his…

Customer Question
My son's father wants to...
My son's father wants to come out to visit his son with his new girlfriend. Do I have the right to meet her before she hangs out with my son?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/8/2017
Family Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Unless there is something in your custody/visitation agreement that gives you such a right (and I've seen all sorts of things in custody agreements), then legally, no. The reality is the court understands that people are going to start dating and entering into new relationships and children will be exposed to these new people in their parents' lives, but the court also gives a lot of leeway to parents to make decisions based on what they feel is in the best interest of their children and of course to use their judgment to not put them in contact with people who will harm/endanger them.

I would definitely address your concerns with the child's father of course and explain that you aren't comfortable just yet and that you would feel better meeting them in person first (or if that's not an option, perhaps you could even talk on the phone first) but legally you cannot deny the father the right to see his son or have visitation time because his girlfriend is with him.

Now, if you have reason to be concerned about her - you know for a fact that she is a drug addict for example --you may wish to file a motion in court to amend your custody/visitation agreement that she not be allowed contact with your child when with his father.

Was there anything further I could assist you with, or additional information you needed regarding this matter? If so, please reply without rating my answer, and I'll be happy to help. Otherwise, please do remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars as that is the only way I will be credited by the website. Thank you!

Hi! Another question regarding this subject. We are having issues regarding the visitation schedule. His father wants him Friday morning until Sunday evening. He's only had one alone overnight visitiation and our agreement states we have a "stepped up visitation." I think two nights and three full days are too much for him right now. What are my options? Can I suggest mediation?
RobertJDFL, Lawyer