Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I make the money in the house. I might get a divorce, but if

Customer Question
we have joint custody, will...
I make the money in the house. I might get a divorce, but if we have joint custody, will i have to pay child support?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Hawaii
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I need to figure out a way not to pay child support. She will probably use it on drugs or something. I need to avoid giving her money but i can offer to physically but items for my son. But not money
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/7/2017
Family Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Generally speaking, yes, that's what's going to happen. Now generally it's not about who makes more, but rather who has custody and who does not.

n Hawaii, both parents have a duty to support their child (or children). Generally, however, the parent who spends less than half time with the child – the non-custodial parent – actually pays support. The custodial parent – the parent who has the most time with the child – remains responsible for child support too, but the law assumes that this parent spends the required amount directly on the child.

You can find a fair calculation about what you can expect in terms of child support here: http://www.childsupporthq.com/hawaii-child-support-calculator.html. You can play around with the numbers, but the calculation is going to be what the courts use once it's determined who gets custody.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

theres no way to avoid paying? So if we both have 50/50. Does that mean i still have to pay even though we have same amount of time with our child? If she doesnt work, dors that force me to pay even more?

Sorry for the delay, I had to step away from the desk for a few minutes... Generally if you can come to an agreement with her AND the court thinks that it's in the best interest of the child, then the court can deviate from the standard child support amount. But in a 50/50 situation, the support obligation is reduced by about 50%. So take the same amount and reduce it 50% to get an approximate number.

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time (>1 HOUR) and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Can you see on your screen where you need to rate it? Note that you may need to press a "submit" button after clicking on the appropriate star rating. This is what I'm waiting on from you. Thanks!

ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer