How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10484
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was married in Panama to a US citizen. He is still in

Customer Question

I was married in Panama to a US citizen. He is still in Panama and I have resided in AZ since October of 2016. We want a divorce. How can I get a fast divorce
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Arizona
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I would like a fast divorce.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a certificate from Panama that was filed verifying the marriage.
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 month ago.

The US has jurisdiction over marital issues if one party resides in the US; the proper jursidiction is the county where the individual resides.

This is addressed in statute ARS 25-312; also please see here

If the divorce is not contested (as to alimony and property division) a decree can be entered within 60 days; if it goes to trial that generally adds several months on to the process.

The person outside of the US must be properly served; please see:

Normally it is best to hire a process server in that country, or a process server in this country that has affiliations.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

Thank you and take care.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just paid $36 and have not received any information! Is a Mexican divorce\ recognized in US?
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 month ago.

Yes, the US does recognize divorces in other countries so long as the country follows US protocol re: notice to the other spouse and does not violate US public policy.

Please see here

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 month ago.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
Terms of service can be viewed here: