Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My q regards alimony in state of PA. When we filed our

Customer Question
My q regards *****...

My q regards ***** ***** state of PA. When we filed our mutually agreed upon divorce settlement we set alimony amounts I was comfortable with. But my income has decreased 80% since then (2 yrs ago). I can no longer afford the alimony but wifes attorney says there is a clause that I cant get out of it no matter what. Have the divorce decree in front of me, just reviewed it and have a few clauses I have questions about, plus any other advice you may offer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

PA

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, I need an opinion on the clauses. I will not pursue a lawyer who will take the case regardless when i

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Page 6 says agreement creates contract rights of obligation independent of any court order and may be enforced by contract remedies.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/7/2017
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this.

Unfortunately if the stipulation states that the alimony is not modifiable the court will enforce that stipulation. That is addressed in case law specifically Egan v. Egan, 2015 Pa. Super. 213.

Unfortunately the code supports this-please see:

3105. Effect of agreement between parties.

(a) Enforcement.--A party to an agreement regarding matters within the jurisdiction of the court under this part, whether or not the agreement has been merged or incorporated into the decree, may utilize a remedy or sanction set forth in this part to enforce the agreement to the same extent as though the agreement had been an order of the court except as provided to the contrary in the agreement.

(b) Certain provisions subject to modification.--A provision of an agreement regarding child support, visitation or custody shall be subject to modification by the court upon a showing of changed circumstances.

(c) Certain provisions not subject to modification.--In the absence of a specific provision to the contrary appearing in the agreement, a provision regarding the disposition of existing property rights and interests between the parties, alimony, alimony pendente lite, counsel fees or expenses shall not be subject to modification by the court.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI/CT/HTM/23/23.HTM

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:

LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer