Amber E.
Amber E., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Experienced practitioner in family law, including divorce, custody, and domestic violence cases.
17831645

If my fiance that died is mother which I take care of has a

Customer Question

If my fiance that died is mother which I take care of has a banking account and I'm not on the account can I have my SSI check deposited directly into her account without me being on the account
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If I have a cashier's check for working on the internet doing surveys and test products all that in my ID isn't current but my husband has an ID that is current can he go to a bank without having an account there and cash it is that legal
Expert:  Amber E. replied 1 month ago.
Technically, anyone can deposit money into any account. However, social security advises that you have your own account, this ensures ownership and control by you. It also ensures only their deposits will post there, avoiding mingling funds.The account of another person is presumed to be theirs, it can be closed at any time by the owner of the account or another caregiver, should one arise. It can also be receiving other deposits, which would put your own at risk. The account could be closed if the account owner were to die, and the money therein could be sent to the state, again putting your money at risk.Lastly, it is simply bad practice for a fiduciary, someone taking care of someone else, to comingle funds and use their accounts as if they're yours. It exposes you to all sorts of financial risks and liabilities, and accusations of fraudulent conduct.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I understand this but I am the only person she has in this world I'm her ear everything gets left to me I do all the business I take care of all the financial everything and there's nobody going to dispute accuse me of defrauding her because they know that anything that I do she's asked me to do
Expert:  Amber E. replied 1 month ago.
It's just important to know those risks come with putting your own money in someone's account. But those are risks one can choose to assume.