Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am wanting to get information in regards to parental

Customer Question
I am wanting...

I am wanting to get information in regards ***** ***** rights in the state of Utah whether it be a separation from a spouse or divorce. Also, if one of the spouses is an addict what part does that play into the custody/parental rights.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Utah

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing else at this time.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/7/2017
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear you are having to deal with this.

When one parent has substance abuse problems and the other does not, the standard order, to protect and further the child's best interests, is to award the nonabuser parent full custody with the other parent being limited to supervised visitation and often drug testing.

For substance abuse cases, the court will often require a custody evaluation to determine the exact issue with the parent and what conditions need to be placed on the visitation.

Please see:

https://www.utcourts.gov/howto/family/custody_evaluation/

The court has jurisdiction over custody once the parents file a petition for separation or divorce.

https://www.utcourts.gov/howto/divorce/temporary_separation.html

Separation is usually pursued when the parties think there may be reconciliation.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.