Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I live in Baltimore MD. I was considering filing for sole

Customer Question

I live in Baltimore MD. I was considering filing for sole custody of my 7 year old son just for his safety. The father is unknown I am trying to see how to go about doing so.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I live in Baltimore MD. I was considering filing for sole custody of my 7 year old son just for his safety. The father is unknown I am trying to see how to go about doing so.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My fiancé has spoken to a lawyer and we also went up to the circuit courts and they told me that I would have to write up a petition because I do not know who his father is
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: Maryland
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what do I do now?
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. If you do not know who the father is and paternity has not yet been established, you would have sole custody of the child. It would be one thing if you knew who the father was and wanted to terminate his parental rights or he wanted to give them up bu if you do not know who he is, there is nobody to go after to obtain full custody. If your fiance wanted to adopt your son, he could, which is likely what the clerk of court was talking about, when advising to file a petition

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!