Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My children were taken when under the supervision of their

Customer Question
mother. We have shared placement...
My children were taken when under the supervision of their mother. We have shared placement and we reside in a different county from the county that removed them. Does that county have jurisdiction?
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Wisconsin
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Manitowoc county
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They opened an investigation in February and we moved in June. But there was no contact with human services until after we moved and they don't know we moved. We didn't tell anyone because it's our rights as Americans
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/7/2017
Family Lawyer: Sue, Family Law Attorney replied 2 months ago
Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney

Hello, welcome to the site. I’m here to help you today. I am a licensed attorney with over 35 years’ experience in family law. I’d like to review your question and perhaps do some research for a few minutes, type your answer and then I’ll be right back.

Sue

This is general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Yes, the county that removed them has jurisdiction.

Does that county know where you are now?

Sue

No they don't. They don't have my current address
What gives them jurisdiction?? And yet they couldn't prove any allegation at all.
Can I get an answer please?

Good morning. We are in different time zones, thus, the delay. My apologies.

What gives them jurisdiction is your children's physical presence in the county at the time they were taken into state custody.

While it is your right to not disclose your location, the child protective services who have your children in custody will not know how to contact you and may see your move as abandonment of your children. Have you been able to keep seeing your children?

Sue

Sue
Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney