Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Married to my 5yr boyfriend during the amnesty period in…

Customer Question
married to my 5yr boyfriend...
married to my 5yr boyfriend during the amnesty period in 1982 i believe. i did the papers myself and he didn't have to pay a cent. Four years later he received his green card. and exactly three months later he left me and moved in with another woman. About two years ago an old friend told me that someone told her that he got a divorce without my knowledge. I have been retired for over five years and things are getting real tough for me as far as finance is concerned. We had no children together, but I had a child who was 17at that time. Is it too late to file for wife support? He will be retiring in two years.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
34;My boyfriend of 5yrs". I understand that he got his citizenship which he never mentioned to me. He was and
is still not living with me. Don't you need to be living with your spouse and still married to get your citizenship ?
9/7/2017
Family Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Attorney replied 11 months ago
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney

I am sorry to hear this.

In which State do you reside? Why do you think he obtained a divorce and where did he supposedly do that?

New York State. Because we stopped the friendship in 2015. He was not responding to my phone calls.

You do not necessarily have to remain married to become a citizen but you have to go to court to get a divorce and both spouses have to be notified of the divorce court case. My opinion is that you are still legally married. You can file for divorce now if you want to.