Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My husband filed a bifurcation. he has not responded to my

Customer Question
offer and is interested in...
my husband filed a bifurcation. he has not responded to my offer and is interested in dragging the financial settlement out while he will be traveling with his new wife. how can i convince the judge to deny the bifurcation. he has not treated me fairly. broken restraining order etc
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: california
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: yes briefly
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: how much is the call?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/7/2017
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Courts typically don't like bifurcation, except in cases where there's an issue that must be resolved before the case can proceed (for example, if there was a dispute regarding the date of the separation that affected ownership of assets). When he simply wants to be able to move on with his new partner without having to divide the community property, that's not a good reason for bifurcation. As long as the two of you are still married, he has an incentive to want to settle the case. Once the dissolution is entered, some spouses take it upon themselves to drag things out indefinitely, which the courts don't like. If he's got significantly more assets than you, you can explain to the judge why bifurcation is unfair and how it will harm you.

Here are the forms needed to oppose bifurcation.

http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/fl315.pdf

http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/fl320.pdf

You can tell the police he violated the restraining order. That's a crime.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer