Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My daughter filed for divorced and husband signed them payed…

Customer Question
My daughter filed for...

My daughter filed for divorced and husband signed them payed court cost and only needed him to sign a paper in front of a notary and now his rejecting it and dont wanna sign anything his verbaly abusive what can i do to help my daughter?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

We caint afford it shes in public housing

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He verbaly abused her tonight thats all

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/7/2017
Family Lawyer: lawyerJ, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
lawyerJ
lawyerJ, Lawyer

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm a licensed attorney. I'm reviewing your request and will respond shortly. Please note, all information is provided for educational purposes only.

First, even if her husband won't sign the divorce papers she can still be divorced. If he refuses to sign, your daughter will need to speak with the clerk to have a trial set. At that point, the judge can issue a divorce decree with or without her husband's consent. Your daughter cannot b forced to remain married even if her husband will not cooperate.

Second, if your daughter would feel more comfortable with an attorney by her side, there's a variety of pro bono legal clinics that will provide her with a lawyer for no charge. There's a list of them available here.

If I've fully answered your question, I'd appreciate a five-star response. If not, please let me know how else I can assist you.