Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I'm currently paying alimony, based on our agreed

Customer Question
I'm currently paying alimony, based...
I'm currently paying alimony, based on our agreed settlement. Currently being offered a new job that will pay a higher monthly salary. Could my ex wife petition for more alimony?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. I have to pay until I turn 65, which will be in 9 years.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/7/2017
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Legally, alimony in Florida is normally modifiable in amount and sometimes duration. That can change according to the specific type of alimony that was awarded. Alimony is never modifiable if the original judgment did not grant alimony. Some agreements may specify “non-modifiable” alimony. That changes the alimony to something that cannot be changed at any time. There are certain conditions that must be met for a modification of alimony – such as large changes in income.

.

So you may want to review the agreement to see if it states it is non-modifiable or not.. If it is able to be modified, I would try to be quiet about the new job and bump in income. But it would be on her to have to file a motion to modify based on a change in circumstances and get the matter back before a judge.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Lawyer