Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have a question concerning spousal support in Oklahoma...

JA: Because family law varies...
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Oklahoma
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Question concerns cohabition and its effect on spousal support
9/6/2017
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Please give em more here,thanks

Oklahoma law also states that if the supported spouse begins cohabiting with a member of the opposite sex, the paying spouse has legal grounds to modify alimony. Cohabitation means that a man and woman are living together in a romantic relationship similar to marriage. The couple doesn’t have to meet all the definitions of a common-law marriage for it to be considered cohabitation; simply living together on a continual basis and having a relationship may be enough for a court to decide the couple is cohabiting. The court will generally only modify alimony when the supported spouse’s financial condition has improved due to the cohabitation.

If you are paying alimony and believe your ex-spouse is cohabiting with another person, you should file a motion to modify or terminate alimony. You should also gather any evidence of their cohabitation, including any evidence or witnesses that help prove they are living together, have a romantic relationship, share expenses, do not have separate residences, etc. If the court believes you have proven that your ex-spouse is cohabiting, and financially benefitting from the cohabitation, the judge can issue an order that reduces or terminates alimony retroactive to the date you filed your motion.

I appreciate the chance to help you, let em know if you have more..

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer