Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

When does temporary spousal support end and spousal support…

When does temporary spousal...

When does temporary spousal support end and spousal support begin. At my initial hearing I was ordered to pay $2000 per month of temporary spousal support. At the divorce hearing, the Judge ordered me to continue to pay $2000 per month and then a few months later rendered a Judge's decision saying I owed her 36 months of consecutive spousal support. Final Decree was not signed until five months after the Judge's Decision due to my lawyer becoming a Judge and her lawyer stalling on the Final Decree write up. IN the final decree, it says upon entry of this order, not specifically upon entry of this final decree order, therefore I interpreted the date of entry of the this decree as being the date the Judge told to continue to pay $2000 per month which she put a limit on several months later in her Judge's final decision decree. Is there a precedent that all spousal support begins after the signing of the final divorce decree or is it based on what is in the order?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not until Monday. Thinking of filing a petition to review to the Judge on my own, since my concern is straight forward.

9/6/2017
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Temporary support ends when the final order is entered unless the order says otherwise. The date of the decision ordering you to pay for 36 months should trigger the start date for regular spousal support.

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

what do mean final order?, the Judge's order rendering her decision or the final decree being signed?

The judge's order stating her decision.

OKay I do not need to talk then. Thank You

You're welcome. Have a good day.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
You two! Appreciate your timeliness and detail.
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started

Thank you!