Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex fiancee and I live together.. Iur names are both on…

Customer Question
My ex fiancee and I...
My ex fiancee and I live together.. Iur names are ***** ***** lease.. He said he is going to get restraining order against me soo I have to move out. What if I get one 1st then will he have to move out??
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/6/2017
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

If your ex has committed domestic violence against you, you can get a restraining order that will require him to leave the premises. The order is effective from the moment it is served on him by a police officer. You would then be responsible for 100% of the rent until the end of the lease.

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

I reported him to police and they can only get him for harrasment..

If his behavior rises to the level of stalking, that is also a grounds for a restraining order. Essentially, you have to show the judge that you're in reasonable fear for your own safety. He shouldn't be able to get a restraining order when he's the one harassing you.

Usually what happens when a couple sharing a lease breaks up is, the two of you would continue living there until one finds another place or the lease is up.

He thinks I am on drugs and endangering his kids.. I take random drug tests fir mt psy.. He is nasty nasty to me.. I work at King soopers and he comes in there jyst to look at my eyes..

I'm sorry to hear that. Following you to work to intimidate you could be grounds for a restraining order. That's a type of stalking.

Do you have any other questions about this?