Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Dear Colleagues, I have a question regarding Maryland civil…

Customer Question
Dear Colleagues,I have a question...
Dear Colleagues,I have a question regarding Maryland civil procedural law. I have a Maryland court decision (Circuit Court for Montgomery County), regarding a change of name (i.e., non-contentious, Decree), which I need to get recognized abroad.One of the conditions for recognition in my country is to prove that it is "definitive", i.e. that no normal appeal can be made to it.Since it does not say so on the Decree, I need a legislative reference for this, as well as legislative reference for the competence of the Circuit Court of Montgomery, to judge such name change cases for people domiciled in Montgomery County.I would appreciate quotes and links to the original legislative database if possible, so that I can print it out for my translators and court.Thank you!
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/6/2017
Family Lawyer: Thomas Swartz, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Thomas Swartz

Hello loan-Luca,

The authority for a Circuit Court in Maryland to grant a name change is found in The Maryland Code and Court Rules.

Specifically it is Rule 15-901. And subdivision (g) of 15-901 states that after the time for filing any objections (and responses) to a name change petition has passed, the court, "shall enter an appropriate order" either with or without a hearing. The legislative language of "shall" is the language indicating that it is mandatory for the court make a decision and that it is definitive.

I hope this answers your question.

Thomas