Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I was granted a permanent restraining order by Arapahoe

Customer Question
District Court against an individual...
I was granted a permanent restraining order by Arapahoe District Court against an individual who resides in Denver County. My PRO states that it requires service on the restrained person before its provisions become effective. The restrained person will not open the door, or identify him self, to the processor in order to be served. The Affidavit of Service (JDF98) does not give the option of service my mail or leaving it at the person's abode, by posting on the door, if it cannot be verified that the person was in the home and didn't want to answer the door. This individual does not work and doesn't have other adult family members in the home who may open the door for the service. What is recommended?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/6/2017
Family Lawyer: lawyerJ, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
lawyerJ
lawyerJ, Lawyer

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm a licensed attorney. I'm reviewing your request and will respond shortly. Please note, all information is provided for educational purposes only.

I assume right now you are using. a private process server. Colorado also permits service via sheriff, which seems like it would be the best option in this case. Take a copy of your protection order to there sheriff for service on the Defendant. The sheriff will then file the proof of service with the Court. Here's a link to the information for service through the Denver sheriff's office.

This should be successful, as oftentimes a sheriff has tools they can use that a private process server cannot. If for some reason it is not, you should inform the court that the party is deliberately avoiding service. At that point, you would also be able to show an affidavit from the sheriff attesting to the fact that the person was avoiding service. The court will then inform you on how to proceed.

If I've fully answered your question, I'd appreciate a five-star rating. If not, please let me know how else to assist you.

lawyerJ
lawyerJ
lawyerJ, Lawyer