Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Looking for laws governing alienation of affection by

elderly parent due to religious...
Looking for laws governing alienation of affection by elderly parent due to religious difference. Not allowed in home which belong to my deceased Dad and I grow up in
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Looking for Maryland status
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet I live in Pa received a hand written notice by a sibling older 3 yrs back saying not allowed at residence
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Several younger sibling not members of the sect have been denied asset also to family home where we all grow up
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/5/2017
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. So to be clear, the alienation of affection that you're referring to is between you and your (deceased) father?

No would like to visit the home I grew up in not allowed on property because of religious difference Mother has posted property No Trespassing and changed locks on doors Verbally stated not to call or come would be arrested.This is same status of three other younger siblings who do not belong to the JW sect. We were a family of 12 now 9 siblings living

Thank you for that additional information. Please give me a few minutes while I type a response. I am still here with you, but it does take a bit of time to type a complete response.

ok thank you

By the way, you may get a phone call offer. This is system generated. I am able to answer your question without a phone call.

(and you won't be charged for the phone call)

no will use computer

Again, I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I think that it's sick, frankly speaking, to withhold contact in such a manner. However (and I am VERY sorry to say this) there is likely little, if anything, that would be able to be done.

Alienation of affection is a state law cause of action allowed in only seven states: Hawaii, Illinois, New Mexico, North Carolina, Mississippi, South Dakota, and Utah. Furthermore, it pertains solely to the affection in a marriage relationship. So it would be the spouse of an individual that engaged in extramarital affairs, suing the "paramour" (the third party "lover") for wrecking the relationship. It's not available even in that context in Maryland, and certainly not in the context that you were describing.

The main stumbling block with a law about "religious" alienation of affection is the US Constitution, which in the First Amendment says "Congress shall make no law... abridging the free exercise [of religion]". Congress has been interpreted to mean any government, Federal, state, or local. So basically the government can't make any law that restricts the free exercise of religion. If this was done for religious reasons, including "shunning" or excommunicating of individuals not in your faith, that's unfortunately legal. Unethical, immoral, and certainly not godly, but still legal.

So in short, there's no law in any state governing religious alienation of affection. The only situation that alienation of affection comes into play is marital relationships, and even then only in the seven states listed above. The Constitution doesn't allow for any law to prohibit this type of behavior (as despicable as it is). I agree it's unethical and immoral, but it is legal.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

thank you
My pleasure. If there's nothing else please rate this answer on your screen. Thanks

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

Thanks service was great

That's good.

Can you see on your screen where you need to rate it? Note that you may need to press a "submit" button after clicking on the appropriate star rating. This is what I'm waiting on from you. Thanks!

If there's nothing else, please rate this answer.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

So can you see on your screen where you need to rate this answer? Again, that's what I'm waiting on from you...

Hello?

Are you there?

ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer