How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sue Your Own Question
Sue, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 171
Experience:  Family Law litigator for over 35 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Sue is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have recently had a very messy situation happen and need

Customer Question

I have recently had a very messy situation happen and need legal advice. I had CPS called to my home. I have full custody of my grandson since 2002, he is severely autistic and self injurious. When they came they went through my home and left for maybe 15 minutes. After which they came back with the police who then informed me there was an order of protection on me from another state, I was never served and have never heard of this order before ebign arrested 3 days ago and having my grandson taken from me
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Kansas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no i posted bail came home they had taken my son and impounded my service dogs
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just need to know what direction to take with this .. i am over 50 have never been through anythign liek this totally lost
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Sue replied 1 month ago.

Hello, welcome to the site. I’m here to help you today. I am a licensed attorney with over 35 years’ experience in family law, most of it representing children in child protective actions. I’d like to review your question and perhaps do some research for a few minutes, type your answer and then I’ll be right back.


Expert:  Sue replied 1 month ago.

This is general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Do you now have some information about what the order of protection ("OP") says and on what grounds it was sought?

There are two avenues to pursue.

First, as soon as you can, probably Tuesday morning, contact the court where the OP was issued to ask for a copy and to let everyone you talk to know you were not served.

When you get a copy, which you can ask to have faxed to you, or if you don't have a fax machine, to a nearby copy shop, there will probably be information about what to do. There should definitely be information about any upcoming court date. You should attend, and if you can possibly afford it, hire an attorney to represent you.

Secondly, you can contact the CPS social worker who took your grandson to ask when you can see him and what you need to do to get him back. If you cannot get through to that person, ask to speak to his/her supervisor, and continue up the chain of command until you get to talk to someone.

Every time you call, clearly leave your name and number.

As much as it may pain you, present yourself as pleasant and helpful. For instance, if your grandson has favorite things offer to bring them to CPS to give to him (not expensive things, like electronics, as they'll disappear). Or, ask if you can bring him clothes and personal hygiene items. This usually gives CPS workers a sense you care mostly about your son.

Keep a journal of every call you make and receive and a summary of what you're being told.

If you have some idea of what CPS found that caused them to act so quickly, begin taking steps to remedy that. For example, you can enroll in classes, hire a cleaning crew, etc.

Can you call the pound to retrieve your service dogs?

Please let me know what other questions you have, all right?


Expert:  Sue replied 1 month ago.

Can I be of further assistance to you? If you need more help or have any further questions, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. I hope I have provided you the information you were seeking. If you’re satisfied with my assistance, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome.